- To develop high yielding, early maturing, medium and fine grain rice varieties, resistant to insect pests and diseases.
- To develop optimum cultural and agronomic practices for rice crop suited to different rice growing regions in the Punjab.
- To determine macro / micro nutrient requirements of rice varieties under different soil conditions.
- To determine the physiochemical properties of rice grain.
- To train extension workers for transfer of rice production technology to the growers and to train rice procurement staff of different agencies in identification of paddy and rice of different varieties.
- To produce pre-basic and basic seed for supply to the Punjab Seed Corporation and for distribution among farmers.
- To develop genetic resources.
- To study value addition of rice for better prices in international market.